London is a national resource with a national impact. There are more students, academics, healthcare professionals and resources to drive innovation and excellence in medical, dental and pharmacy education and research than anywhere else in the country. This has direct benefits to patient care across the country.
- London provides healthcare for the nation – in 2009/10 London hospitals admitted 292,654 patients who were not residents in the city
- Over a third of medical, dental and pharmacy research papers published in the UK have a London author
- London provides some specialist care that is not available elsewhere in the country. This in turn creates training opportunities for healthcare professionals unique to the capital
- Medical academic excellence is concentrated in London, evidenced in three of the countries six Academic Health Science Centres located in the capital
- The large diverse population alongside world class researchers enables clinical trials to take place on a scale not otherwise achievable
Read the supporting articles and case studies on the left hand side to find out more about how London’s medical, dental and pharmacy higher education make a national impact.