London Medicine was set up in 2009 to provide the London schools of medicine, dentistry and associated clinical academic disciplines a forum to discuss emerging issues in the delivery of health education and research in the capital and to collaborate on new initiatives in the interest of the members.
London Medicine is a division of London Higher.
London Medicine is engaging with key stakeholders on current policy developments affecting heath education and research. This includes:
- the significant reforms of the English healthcare system, including healthcare education. Read the Liberating the NHS article on this website to find out more about the policy and London Medicine activities.
- Horizon 2020 - the new Common Strategic Framework for EU research funding mechanisms for the period 2014 - 2020. London Medicine is facilitating an event in Brussels to discuss with their European colleagues how to enhance collaboration on health research projects within EU funding mechanisms.
London Medicine promotes the excellence and added value of the concentration in London of higher education in medicine, dentistry and associated clinical academic disciplines. This website is the primary tool for doing this and is regularly updated.
London has an active, highly concentrated and globally competitive life science sector. To promote the sector, London Medicine has developed a new website, www.LondonLifeScience.com, that will create an online tool to act as an interface between organisations in the capital, and ultimately enhance collaboration among the different organisations in the life science sector.
The Group meets three times a year. There is a business meeting followed by dinner at which a guest speaker, a senior colleague from the health education sector, speaks with the group on a topic of current interest. Forthcoming meeting dates for this academic year are:
- 01 October 2012
- 24 January 2013
- 30 May 2013
Terms of Reference
London Medicine has a remit to:
- monitor the healthcare policy environment as it applies to the membership of the Group and identify opportunities and issues of shared concern
- liaise with outside bodies to deliver timely interventions in line with the point above
- promote the regional, national and international contributions made by London Medicine
- coordinate initiatives and projects
- promote dialogue between those that develop healthcare policy and higher education policy.
Read the London Medicine Terms of Reference.
The membership of London Medicine is comprised of the Heads of schools of medicine, dentistry and associated clinical academic disciplines in London, as well as a second senior representative from each school.
The Group is chaired by Professor Peter Kopelman, Principal, St George's, University of London.
Read the membership list of London Medicine.